Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hour
Yield: 2-3 Servings
- 2 raw chicken breasts (or substitute rotisserie or pre-cooked chicken)
- Kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to season
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tsp fresh ginger, minced or grated
- 4 tsp fresh garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 4 cups rich chicken stock
- 1 oz dried shitake mushrooms (or substitute 1/2 cup fresh)
- ½-1 tsp sea salt, to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup scallions, sliced
- 6 oz dried gluten free buckwheat ramen noodles (or substitute brown rice noodles)
- Fresh jalapeño slices, for serving
Chicken: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper. Melt the butter in a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Roast in oven for 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the oven, transfer the chicken to a plate and cover with foil until ready to serve.
Ramen broth: Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, until shimmering. Add the garlic and ginger, and cook for a few minutes until softened. Add the soy sauce and mirin, and stir to combine. Cook for another minute. Add the stock, cover, and bring to boil. Add the dried mushrooms and let simmer for 15 minutes. Season with salt, to taste.
Soft-boiled eggs: Place the eggs in a pot and cover with enough cold water to cover the eggs. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Turn the heat off just after the water begins to boil and let eggs sit in the hot water for 4-5 minutes for a soft, but set-up yoke.
Meanwhile, fill a bowl with ice water. When the timer finishes, transfer the eggs to the ice bath to stop the cooking process. Wait at least 5 minutes, or until cool enough to handle, then carefully peel. Set aside until ready to serve.
Meanwhile, chop the scallions and jalapeño. Slice the chicken into thin pieces. When the eggs finish cooking, add the noodles to the boiling egg water. Cook for 2-3 minutes (or the time that the package indicates), until soft, then divide the noodles into two large bowls. Add the sliced chicken and the ramen broth. Top with the fresh scallions, jalapeño and the soft-boiled egg. Serve immediately.