• 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
• 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
• 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
• 3 cups marinara sauce or tomato puree
• 6 large eggs
• 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or cheese of your choice (goat and feta also work well)
• Shredded basil
• Salt and pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, jalapeno, and garlic until translucent—about 5 minutes.
2. Add tomato sauce and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
3. Carefully crack eggs into the pan, keeping them whole and separate. Cook until whites have set but yolks are still runny, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Serve eggs immediately and directly from skillet.
5. Garnish with basil leaves, cheese, and a piece of crusty bread.