Courtesy of: bon appetit
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter
- 1 pound carrots, peeled, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 13.5-oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Thai-style chili sauce plus more for serving
- Fresh cilantro leaves (for serving)
Thai-style chili sauce is available at Asian markets and in the Asian foods section of some supermarkets.
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until carrots are softened, 15–20 minutes. Stir in broth, coconut milk, and 2 Tbsp. chili sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very soft and liquid is slightly reduced, 40–45 minutes.
Let soup cool slightly, then purée in a blender until smooth. Reheat in a clean saucepan, thinning with water to desired consistency; season with salt and pepper.
Divide soup among bowls, drizzle with chili sauce, and top with cilantro.
Do Ahead: Soup can be made 3 days ahead. Let cool; cover and chill.